Unraveling the Mystery Behind Porcelain Inlays
Dental caries can be debilitating since it may leave you with a compromised tooth structure and function. This is a prevailing dental problem around the globe that needs prompt treatment. Porcelain inlays are popular restorative procedures that can restore a severely decayed tooth involving a large area of your tooth structure.
The dentist in Kensington, CA, is a highly skilled and experienced professional who specializes in porcelain inlays. These restorations are successfully customized to match your natural tooth shade.
Porcelain inlays are popular restorations
A dental inlay refers to a filling that usually consists of gold, porcelain, or resin that is used to treat a tooth cavity. An inlay is larger than a regular filling but smaller than a crown. Unlike regular fillings, the cavity is not restored directly inside the mouth. Porcelain inlays are a tooth-colored, aesthetic restoration that is fabricated indirectly. Dentists use a model fabricated from oral impressions to design an appropriate inlay restoration.
Application of porcelain inlays in dentistry
Porcelain inlays find their application in the following situations in dentistry:
- Broken or fractured teeth, sparing the teeth cusps
- Large cavities that cannot be restored by regular fillings
- Cosmetic rejuvenation of the tooth
- Fractured or cracked restorations
The procedure of getting porcelain inlays
Porcelain inlays are fabricated outside the mouth, indirectly following the below-given procedure:
During the first appointment
- Your dentist will evaluate the affected tooth and remove the decayed and infected tissue.
- The tooth will be prepared accordingly to ensure the inlay fits the tooth snugly
- Multiple accurate impressions of the prepared tooth will be recorded and sent to the lab.
- To protect your prepared tooth from sensitivity, your dentist will provide a temporary filling.
During the second appointment
- After about a week, your new inlay will be precisely cemented into your tooth
- Necessary adjustments will be made by your dentist so that the inlay fits the tooth well and your bite is comfortable.
Potential benefits of a porcelain inlay
Porcelain inlays are popular since they offer the below-mentioned merits:
- Aesthetically superior since they blend with the natural tooth easily
- Offer stain resistance
- Save you from extensive dental procedures like root canal therapy and crowns
- Preserve most of the natural tooth structure
- Provides additional strength to your teeth to withstand the masticatory forces and pressure
- Are cost-effective
- Are durable and long-lasting with proper oral care
- Effectively restore a failed dental filling
Porcelain inlays are valuable restorative procedures since they offer a series of dental benefits. Investing in such restorations can go a long way in reviving your damaged teeth.