Everything you Need to Know About the Widow Pension Scheme 2022
The Widow Pension Scheme or the Vidhwa Pension Scheme is a Government of India initiative that aims to empower, and help widows in the country. The scheme is especially beneficial for the underprivileged women wherein the government provides financial assistance in the form of a monthly pension. This helps them to become financially independent and take care of their expenses after their spouse’s demise.
As per the scheme mandate, widows aged between 18 and 65 years are eligible to apply for the scheme. Also, women whose husbands have abandoned them can apply for the scheme to avail its benefits. If you know someone who can benefit from the scheme, like your housemaid, you can apply to enrol them in the scheme and allow them to get the monthly pension.
Let us look at the eligibility criteria for this pension plan for the widows:
- Widows must be aged between 18-65 years.
- Only widows or women abandoned by their husbands can apply for it
- The eligible beneficiary must have the necessary documents to apply for the Widow Pension Scheme
- Widows must not be re-married
- All beneficiaries must have an operational bank account that is linked to their Aadhaar Card and must have a valid phone number.
Documents required for enrolling in the Widows Pension Scheme
- Aadhaar Card
- Voter ID
- Husband’s death certificate
- Birth certificate
- Passport size photo
- Caste certificate
- Bank passbook
- Income certificate
Benefits of the Widow Pension Scheme
- Widows with low income or belonging to the below poverty line family can get a steady income to meet their expenses.
- Widows with small children can use the pension they receive from the scheme to fund their education and cater to their primary needs.
- It helps the widows reduce their dependency on other family members post the husband’s demise.
- Helps widows feel empowered and be self-reliant.
How much pension do widows get from the scheme?
Under the Widow Pension Scheme, the pension that the beneficiaries receive varies from state to state and their age. As per the government of India mandate, the minimum pension amount that beneficiaries receive is Rs. 300 per month. However, most of the states offer more.
Let us look at the monthly pension widows are eligible to receive under the scheme in different states:
|State (Place of Residence)||Age Group||Monthly Pension Amount|
Rs. 900 (if the beneficiary has more than one child)
|Uttar Pradesh||Less than 80 years
More than 80 years
|Rajasthan||Less than 55 years
More than 55 years
|Delhi||Rs. 2500 (every three months)|
As per the recent government orders, all the eligible beneficiaries must link their Aadhaar Card with their bank account to receive the pension in their bank account. Beneficiaries who have not linked their Aadhaar card will not receive the scheme’s benefits.
The Widow Pension Scheme is an excellent initiative by the government to help the widows be self-reliant, live life with integrity, and take care of their expenses on their own.